Jun 24, 2011

Made In America?

A few days ago on the way to work I was listening to a segment on NPR. This segment was about a store called "Made in America" who only stocks 100% American made products. While I don't entirely agree with their reasoning why, it made me really stop and think.

This store only carries only products made in the USA all the way down to the glue, as they say. Hmmm. That can't be too hard, right? I realize that we do buy lots of products made in other countries but I didn't think about the sheer mass quantity. How many things do I use that are made in the USA?

So I looked down at my trusty Elmer's Glue sitting on the table from the paper-mache session last night. Made in China. My stapler, China. My balloons, China. My paper labels, Mexico. My gluestick, Germany. It was a bit astonishing. Do we really pay attention to where products are made anymore? I guess I don't. How much is really made in the USA?

I decided right then to try to buy more from my own country. Not as a 'screw you' to any other country, but as more of a supportive, aware customer. I'm going to try to buy more locally when I can. I want my country and its inhabitants to have jobs, to be able to provide for their families, and to support the economic growth. The unemployment rate is over 9% and it seems to keep climbing. I wonder if we attempt to buy products from our own country (no matter what country you live in), if we can help ourselves and our fellow citizens.

I sure hope so, because everyone wants to put food on the table for the ones they love.

No comments:

Post a Comment