Apr 22, 2011

Happy Earth Day!!

Yes, today is Earth Day! I know I was doing  a craft a day in honor of Earth Day but I thought we would take a break for a bit to talk about today.

Today is all about thinking about the environment and appreciating what we have. I know this sounds hokey, but I think it's important.

Let me level with you, I'm not the most earth friendly person out there. I use plastic bags, I leave things turned on over night. Once I left the oven on a full day without realizing it. With that said, there are some things that you, and even I, can do to help sustain with the environment. In no particular order whatsoever I present you with my list.


EASY WAYS TO HELP THE ENVIRONMENT
  • Turn things off when they are not in use.
  • Unplug phone chargers when they are not charging. These items have no on/off switch. They are basically on as long as they are plugged in. 
  • Try to use reusable grocery bags instead of plastic. You can buy them everywhere and some places even give you a discount for using them. 
  • Open the curtains during daylight and turn off the lights. Enjoy that free sunshine coming through your window if you can. Not only is it good for the environment, it's good for your health , too.
  • Don't throw out your plastic containers (such as butter tubs) after you use them. Wash them and use those for storing left overs or other supplies. Using these instead of plastic ware you have to buy is great for when you have to bring food over to someone's house.Also, if  you leave it behind it didn't cost you anything.
  • Reuse your plastic bags that have made it into the house. They work great for bathroom trashcans, doggie and cat duties, crafting, or as packing material.
  • Plan out your shopping trips to reduce mileage on your car. I like to start with the farthest away first, and work my way back.
  • Invest in some reusable batteries. AA and AAA get used quite often. Save yourself some money and save some space in the landfill. 
  • Find ways to reuse something you already have - I got a new bed last year in a different size so all the previous sheets would not fit. I ended up donating what I didn't need and saving a few for household projects. I am able to use those sheets as a tarp while crafting or painting, as scrap fabric for sewing, as a backing to a child's quilt or making a new pair of curtains, as a makeshift kid's play tent, as a tablecloth for garage sales, as a backdrop for taking photos, or just plain old use for when someone crashes on the couch. 
  • Buy things you use often in bulk if you have the space. Buying in bulk means less packaging to throw away and it can also be a better deal. 
  • Plant a tree. HAH! I know this is funny but planting any item outside your house is good whether it be a patch of marigolds, a fat rhododendron or a small tree. Plants create oxygen and that's a good thing.  
There are many other things you can do to help the environment and save a little money in the process. If you have any additional tips to share with other shameful slackers feel free to post your comments here!

No comments:

Post a Comment